Monday, January 07, 2008

Today's Dose of Randomness

Ricky Carandang's recent blog post discusses his thoughts on the recent Iowa caucus. It's a nice read ... especially his observations on discrimination in USA.

The Metro Manila filmfest is finally over, which means that movies released in the US during the filmfest time will finally be shown in local cinemas. Looking forward to seeing National Treasure. I know the plot/story will be as silly as the first one, I'm watching it for the thrill ride.

Can't help but notice that Crank That by Soulja Boy is going back up the Billboard Hot 100 chart again. It's now #5, being in the 11th spot the previous week. That's one resilient, addictive piece of music.

Saw A Knight's Tale on cable yesterday. I't a fun film to watch. I actually have a DVD of the movie. I still have the opinion that Alan Tudyk's character could pass for a grown up Ron Weasley (a Harry Potter book character). The short fuse, the loyalty to his friend despite knowing he will get into trouble, the red hair ... that's Ron Weasley.

I believe Paul Bettany was initially noticed by Hollywood in this film. Hard not to notice an actor who walks into his first scene naked. His acting wasn't bad either ... he actually won the London Critics Circle Award for British Supporting Actor because of "A Knight's Tale".

The movie's plot is silly to start with, but it is a glaring oddity that the character of Chaucer is Ulrich von Liechtenstein's herald, and that Ulrich's men were betting against Frenchmen that an Englishman will win the jousting tournament in Paris. It was in the context that the French knew Ulrich and his men were English. If Will the thatcher's son is bent on keeping his disguise as Ulrich, wouldn't he be careful about discrepancies such as being English when you're supposed to be from another country?

Actually, the title von Liechtenstein from Gelderland should be glaringly bogus to any character in the movie. The current principality of Liechtenstein is near Switzerland (I once came across a brochure from its embassy - the place has high quality of living by the way); while Gelderland sounds Dutch. Let's say Liechtenstein is a relatively new principality ... I should think that any reference to older Liechtensteins would still locate them near Switzerland or neighboring countries like Austria.

Ignoring those bits of info, the movie is enjoyable because of its characters and the music.

Andy Swan took down the latest "Unauthorized" Gubler video. Wonder what made him change his mind. Would he post the future videos on http://www.bankruptpictures.tv/ only instead of YouTube?


--------edit---------

Passed by Portkey.org's forum. Read nothing interesting to give me reason to log on. My last post there was months ago. Harry Potter discussion is basically dead. The only reason I signed up there was because my friend, a moderator on that board, asked me to. Nothing much going on in lg.org either simply because most of Europe and North American tweens are not yet online (sleeping or in school).

Not in the mood to visit TWOP. One may find the most hysterical/funny discussions there, but members on that forum can be mean critics. Not much into negative vibes now. Need to find another forum to hang out in...

A-ha! Ashley Tisdale's website is a barrage of stuff that I realized only now that it actually has a forum.

I'm a Sharpay Evans fan, so ofcourse I signed up. Liking it ... simply because there are members my age in there, and not just tweens. Ha ha ha! I'll probably start hanging out there more as the topics of discussion are more varied. As usual, you'll find me in the "other topics" area.

No comments:

Current Top Five (Movies)