Friday, October 26, 2007

Lucas Grabeel's "You Got It"

Was checking on my YouTube account 2 days ago when I saw this under my subscriptons box:


I couldn't believe Lucas and his gang are actually releasing a video to "You Got It". When I first heard the audio only version of the song, I found it funny that all you could hear is "you got it". The song's really not great, but it tends to get stuck in your head till you catch yourself humming it.

I think the full music video will be entertaining if this teaser is any indication. According to his friend Michael, the idea was to put Lucas in situations where people would have to react...the idea reminds me of Fatboyslim's "Praise You" video.

The gang took the footage during their European trip. I actually think Lucas dyed his hair to be incognito in Europe and do the crazy things he's done in this clip. I also think they filmed this before Lucas appeared in the launching of HSM2 in France where everybody first saw his new hair color.

This teaser can be viewed for free in YouTube, where lots of fans have already posted kudos. Now, it's pretty obvious that I like Lucas, but I think the praises the fangirls have heaped on this teaser are overboard, making this teaser overrated. It's probably going to be "cool", but definitely not the "greatest video ever made". Fangirls...sheesh.

The final version of the music video will be available next week ... but you have to pay to view it because it's on Itunes. Which makes me wonder if I'll actually get to see it. I'm not keen on spending $2 to download any music video, and even if I become one of those inclined to pay for it, itunes is not available in the Philippines. Mike says he'll find other ways to make it accessible to people who can't access itunes. I think he means other pay per view sites.

For the clueles: This song has had an interesting journey. Lucas was strumming it on a guitar while on the HSM concert tour in Latin America. The dance version was heard in the High School Musical 2 movie as the radio song being played in Sharpay Evans' car while the twins were headed to their parents' resort. Due to apparent demand from fangirls, this song was offered for download from itunes. Now the music video will be on itunes as well.

An observation: I find it a bit appalling that the other song this kid wrote/improv'd also used repetitive words. If you listen to the song Lucas was singing in the video tribute to his fans (below), you'll hear "cool" a lot.


I hope he's written better songs. If they all sound like these two, he should just stick to acting, singing and dancing. He'll still be in my list of multi-talented people to watch out for though.

----------October 30, 2007 Update----------
Well, the full music video's up, but it's not on Itunes. They uploaded it to this link: http://payloadz.com/go?id=360265
It's cheaper than Itunes by $0.49.

No comments:

Current Top Five (Movies)