Saturday, September 15, 2007

TV Movie: High School Musical

High School Musical
Production Cos.:Salty Pictures/Walt Disney
Release:January 20, 2006
Genre:Drama, Musical & Performing Arts, Comedy
MPAA Rating:G

My Yahoo! Movies Rating:
Overall Grade:B-
Story:C+
ActingB-
Direction:B
Visuals:B-

I didn't watch this movie during the first few months it was shown on Disney channel, which is why I couldn't understand its popularity. When I finally decided to watch it, I found it very entertaining despite my being way too old for its target audience.

The story is actually run of the mill boy meets girl with the "can't be together because we come from different worlds" kind of situation. This one is even a bubble-cotton-candy-pop version of high school that the angst is toned down.

Perhaps what helped it stand out from other high school movies is that it's a musical. It's obviously aimed at kids, as the music is easy to sing along to, and it's fun to imitate the dance steps. It's also managed to put in the right amount of comedy so that people won't gag from too much sweetness.

This movie has a very good looking, poster perfect cast. Zac Efron and Vanessa Hudgens look very good together and play well against each other. Hudgens has the tendency to overact at times, which is something I've observed her do also whenever she guests in "The Suite Life".

Ashley Tisdale and Lucas Grabeel play over the top characters and obviously had fun doing it. Sharpay and Ryan Evans are actually my favorites.

What I truly admire about the kids in this movie is that they are able to sing and dance. Let's say they lip-synched a lot ... they still get credit for the dancing.

No comments:

Current Top Five (Movies)