Saturday, January 28, 2006

DVD Movie: Winnie the Pooh's Many Adventures

Producer:Walt Disney Productions
Release:March 11, 1977
Genre:Kids/Family
MPAA Rating:G


I had access to Winnie the Pooh while growing up ... but I became an avid fan of the character when the cartoon series were shown on TV. I bought the VHS tape of this movie and was in love with it instantly, which is why when I saw a DVD version, I bought it - VHS and Betamax tapes have, after all, gone the way of antiquity. Unlike the cartoon series, which is written a group of writers, the material in this movie were taken from A. A. Milne's own work.

Kids may love the movie because of Pooh's jolliness, the songs, and the fun adventures. I, as an adult, love this movie because of Pooh's simpleness. Part of what attracts me to Milne's work are the narrator's "asides" or comments, that give the reader an objective observation of what the character is really up to as opposed to what the character thinks he or she is doing. It wouldn't be Milne if they took the comments out and just focused on the action. This is one thing that you cannot find in the cartoon series. It is the mix of taking things literally, yet with a wink, that makes me giggle and laugh ... and I'll never tire of watching this movie.

The end, where Christopher Robin tells Pooh that he had to go to school, was poignant ... it represented that point in everyone's life where the non-stop playing gives way partially to the serious business of learning... and every adult knows what follows after school... going to work and losing a bit more of the child in you.

This is one movie to pop into the DVD player if you want to just relax and enjoy as if you were a child again.

No comments:

Current Top Five (Movies)