Friday, January 13, 2006

Movie: The Chronicles of Narnia: The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe

Distributor:Walt Disney Company
Release:8 January 2006 (Philippines)
Genre:Action/Adventure, Art/Foreign, Drama, Kids/Family, Science Fiction/Fantasy and Adaptation
MPAA Rating:PG for for battle sequences and frightening moments.


I love the Chronicles of Narnia books ... I have my friend Rachel to thank for recommending "The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe" when we were in grade school. After reading that and realizing that it was the first book of many, I patiently waited my turn at borrowing the books from the library.

When I was already working, I bought all the books in the chronicles so that I have my own copy ... I still read them when I have nothing better to do and as I revisit Narnia, I keep in touch with the child in me.

I was therefore excited when I first heard that Walden was going to make the first book into a movie. When I finally heard that the movie will soon be released, I wondered if the movie was good .... I want it to be good so that Walden would make the next book into a movie also.

The movie deviated a bit from the book but the differences in my opinion are forgivable. The actors playing the children were adorable ... and it is wonderful to find out that they can act. The children portrayed the Pevensies perfectly. I imagine the young girls will be gushing over William Moseley and Skandar Keynes.

Tilda Swinton as a blond witch is one deviation from the book. She was sweetness, menace, and raw ambition. So yes, although she wasn't my vision of the witch, she was great in this movie ... except for that one scene where her camp is preparing for battle and she was talking with the minotaur ... it looked like the queen was too tired to listen to strategy, making the scene funny in my opinion.

James McAvoy as Mr. Tumnus was a bit disturbing for me though. His attempts to befriend Lucy then abduct her sounded like the modus operandi of a pedophile. I should have seen that while reading the book.

The animated creatures that played key roles in the movie were done well. Aslan looked majestic. He was a work of art. I have to say though that the same meticulousness wasn't seen in the creation of lesser characters.

The battle scene was great. Tilda rocked - as usual. The Pevensie boys turned into men on the battlefield.

I've got a bit of a problem with the older version of the Pevensies ... the ladies looked like what Susan and Lucy would turn out to be, but the men had little resemblance to the child actors playing Peter and Edmund.

The ending, with Lucy realizing that the professor knew of Narnia, was lovely.

I hope this movie makes enough money to justify making movies out of the other books.

No comments:

Current Top Five (Movies)