Friday, July 08, 2005

Movie: War of the Worlds

Image hosted by Photobucket.comDistributor:Paramount Pictures
Release:June 29th, 2005
Genre:Science Fiction/Fantasy
MPAA Rating:PG-13
for frightening sequences of sci-fi violence and disturbing images

There's something about Tom Cruise that makes me not like all his movies. Cruise has an overbearing personality that always finds its way into the character he portrays. This works in some movies, but not in all. That is the reason I was wary about watching this film. When I was about 10, I devoured science fiction, including H.G. Wells, and so War of the Worlds was familiar to me. I didn't know if Cruise would ruin the story for me or not.

Surprise, Cruise was able to act without overdoing it. This is one of those rare times I wished he had more to do. It's the script itself that failed to deliver. Most of the time, we see people running away from the tripods lest they get hit by the rays and turn to dust. The menace represented by the tripods is terrifying. The movie however, did not put enough time to explore the inner turmoil going through the characters. They just are, but I would have liked to see why they reacted differently to the situation. At the end of the movie, I felt I just got off a fun ride. The movie just did not evoke too much of an emotion in me. Special effects were great though.

Some people felt disappointed at the ending. A friend thought it was anticlimactic for the aliens to die of germs. This is one area you cannot blame the script writer - the book the movie was based on did have the Martians dying that way.

By the way, have you heard? Some real scientists are worried that all this space exploration by humans of Mars may introduce virus or bacteria that may be harmful to the planet. That's in addition to the junk we've been littering space with.

No comments:

Current Top Five (Movies)