Friday, April 15, 2005

Movie: The Wedding Date

Image hosted by Photobucket.comDistributor:Universal Pictures
Release:February 4, 2005
Genre:Comedy and Romance
MPAA Rating:PG-13
for sexual content including dialogue

My friend summed this movie as "Pretty Woman" done in reverse. It is in the sense that the woman here hires a guy to be her date to a wedding, they fall for each other, happy ending.

In Pretty Woman, the prostitute transforms herself ... which is part of the movie's charm. In Wedding Date, the guy easily blends in whatever group he's taken to by his date ... in fact, he's almost perfect - so it's still the woman who undergoes a transformation. There is no stigma to being a date for hire it seems.

Anyway, two people I like are in this movie ... Debra Messing and Jack Davenport.

I know of Messing mostly from the Will & Grace TV series, where she is just adorable. I think the only other movie of hers I've seen apart from Wedding Date is The Mothman Prophecies (she may have roles in other movies I've seen like Walk in the Clouds - but I honestly never noticed her in those movies). She is as quirky and lovable playing "Kat" in this movie as she is when playing "Grace".

Jack Davenport is the guy I might have seen in TV and movies before, but I really only remember him in the Pirates of the Caribbean movie and the TV show Coupling. I came to love this guy watching Coupling, and I think his character in Wedding Date is similar to his character in Coupling.

Funny scenes in this movie:

Nick and Kat sharing Kat's bed for the first time. Kat and Nick (the "date" as played by Dermot Mulrooney) are retiring for the night and while they're talking, Kat unobtrusively puts all available pillows in the middle of the bed to serve as a "dividing wall" ... which Nick only notices when he gets in the bed.

The shower scene. It's actually idiotic why Kat would enter the bathroom if she doesn't want to see Nick naked ... she knows he's taking a shower, so why would she freak out when she finds herself looking right at his p_n_s? They pulled it off anyway.

Amy's revelation. Eddie (Davenport) politely excuses himself after Amy (Kat's younger sister, played by Amy Adams) tells him she had slept (more than once) with his best man Jeffrey (Jeremy Sheffield), then promptly proceeds to angrily chase Jeffrey out of the church in front of bewildered wedding guests.Image hosted by Photobucket.com


Speaking of Amy Adams ... it's hard to not remember that pretty face. Problem is, I couldn't place where I've seen her before. I seem to recall seeing her play a bitch in another movie ... my brother and friend don't seem to remember her playing a bitch ... and now looking at her film bio... I think they remember her from "Catch Me if You Can". I remember watching that movie but not the others in her film bio ... so why do I think she's good at playing spoiled or bitchy girls? What movie is this brain of mine referring to?

No comments:

Current Top Five (Movies)