Friday, October 24, 2008

Movie: High School Musical 3: Senior Year

High School Musical 3: Senior Year
Studios: Walt Disney Studios Motion Pictures
Release: October 24, 2008
Genre: Musical/Performing Arts
MPAA Rating: G
Website: http://disney.go.com/disneypictures/highschoolmusical3/
My Yahoo! Movies Rating:
Overall Grade: C+
Story: C
Acting C+
Direction: B-
Visuals: B-

The first HSM was better

This movie is bigger than the first High School Musical because it had a bigger budget that allowed for better props, costumes, and dance numbers.

It does not have a better story. Not one that would be given justice in a 1 1/2 hour movie anyway.

The introduction of new characters to an existing 6-member main cast took its toll on character development. I couldn't find myself caring much for the three new characters. The Sharpay wannabe is just catty but not as lovable as Sharpay is, the Troy replacement lacks charm, and the I can't decide what the role of the third kid is because I didn't see much of him.

I love the dance on the roof top where Gabriella teaches Troy how to waltz. I love the "Right Here Right Now" duet. Yet the music humming through my head as I left the theater was music from the first two TV movies of the franchise.

Sharpay and Ryan once more had their own broadway worthy number, but "I Want it All" isn't as catchy or easy to sing along with as "Fabulous" and "Bop to the Top" were.

The movie isn't totally crap, but it is disappointing as follow up to the original. The first one didn't have a big budget, but it had more heart.

No comments:

Current Top Five (Movies)