Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Rediscovering the kids of Narnia

Typhoon Frank's decision to change course and unload buckets of rain over Laguna threw out my plans to do 2 weeks' worth of laundry last weekend. I spent most of Saturday surfing the net. Considering that I only had a cold and a few clean clothes left to wear for the rest of the week, I had it better than those who lost their lives/property/loved ones to the storm.

My cold got worse on Sunday and I was not in the mood to open my PC. With the cable out because of the storm, I decided to just watch my Narnia 2-disc DVD (The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe). I watched it "as is", then with the "pop-outs", then with the commentaries of the director and the kids. In other words, I watched the movie thrice. I also watched the out-takes, the making, etc.

I fell in love with the four kids playing the Pevensies all over again.

I loved them after I saw the movie in a theater a little more than 2 years ago. I especially liked Skandar Keynes. He got the Edmund of the books spot on... and Edmund is one of my favorite characters from the series simply because he had the most character development ... same as Eustace, who is another one of my favorite characters (which means I am so looking forward to the film version of Voyage of the Dawn Treader).

I liked the rest of the kids because of the way they have bonded together ... and they do paint a very pretty family picture.

They have all grown up in the Prince Caspian movie. I adore the fact that more young girls/teens/tweens have begun to take notice of Skandar. I noticed him for his talent, but having grown up handsomely won't hurt his career at all.

With my cold winning the upper round today, and forcing me to call in sick, I spent most of the afternoon (I woke up very late) watching YouTube and all interviews with the kids. Saw some tribute videos as well (some are good, a lot of them mediocre).

Guess what... Slow me just realized what might have fueled the William-Anna/Peter-Susan shipping in fanficdom (which stumped me when I came across some of them after the first Narnia movie came out): it's those behind the scenes footages of them in the DVD where they do a lot of hugging and yes - cuddling. Those two look good together. Anna is sophistication and William is simply eye candy. I found it funny that Will had to clear to the press that they never "crossed the line" and remain good platonic friends.

I am impressed that Anna is taking up Literature in Oxford ... and she is in Magdalen College ... the same place where C.S. Lewis taught. Interesting, huh?

So, I have just noted how William, Anna, and Skandar have all grown up well. Let's not forget Georgie who is turning out to be a very pretty lady. No surprise, if you consider that the lovely woman who played the grown-up Lucy in the movie is Georgie's older sister.

Yup, I'm tracking the career of these kids and hope that they improve in their craft and be really successful actors (not just famous). It would probably be a while before we hear more from Anna though ... who's intent on earning a degree first.

Before I end this particular post, I'd like to share to you Switchfoot's video for "This Is Home", which is part of the Prince Caspian soundtrack:

This is Home
Switchfoot

Lyrics:

I've got my memories
They're always
Inside of me
But I can't go back
Back to how it was
I believe now
I've seen too much
But I can't go back
Back to how it was
Created for a place
I've never known

Chorus:
This is home
Now I'm finally
Where I belong
Where I belong
Yeah, this is home
I've been searching
For a place of my own
Now I've found it
Maybe this is home
Yeah, this is home

Belief over misery
I've seen the enemy
And I won't go back
Back to how it was
And I got my heart
Set on
What happens next
I got my eyes wide
It's not over yet
We are miracles
And we're not alone

(Chorus)

And now after all
My searching
After all my questions
I'm gonna call it home
I got a brand new mindset
I can finally see
The sunset
I'm gonna call it home

(Chorus)

Now I know
Yeah, this is home

I've come too far
Now I won't go back
This is home

No comments:

Current Top Five (Movies)