Sunday, March 05, 2006

TV Series Rerun: Coupling

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketNetwork:BBC2
First Run:May 2000 to 2004
Genre:Comedy


I discovered this series last year ... as a rerun. I enjoyed the few episodes I did catch and was overjoyed to discover they are repeating the series again. Which means I can watch it from the start.

I like the guys in this series ... all are CUTE. Their characters have horrible flaws, mind you, but they still end up adorable because of the actors playing them I guess. I LOVE Jack Davenport. There, I've said it.

The funny thing is, the women here don't have as much flaws as the men, but they tend to come across as annoying bitches at one point or another. Which is in contrast to the women portrayed in F*R*I*E*N*D*S - for example: Monica is one control freak and is much more a nag than Susan, yet you end up loving Monica more than Susan. However, I think that if I met someone like them in real life, I'd like the Susan over the Monica.

Is this the British FRIENDS? Superficially, perhaps. It centers around a group of 20-something people, 3 of them male, and the remaining 3 female. The tone and topics however are entirely different. As the series title suggests, much of the discussion taking place here revolves around sex. You have to hand it to the Brits to attack the subject in a manner that is amusing rather than offensive.

No comments:

Current Top Five (Movies)